Two Months Before Move
- Get moving quotes if you are planning on using a professional mover.
- If you need a rental truck for a “do-it-yourself-move,” contact a rental company.
- Visually prepare or design a floor plan for your furniture in your new home.
- Create a list for inventory of your belongings. This is helpful in preparing a garage or moving sale.
- Keep all of your paperwork concerning the move in one file, so nothing is lost or misplaced.
- Transfer all school records for your children.
- Finalize your decision on a mover.
- If time permits, prepare your new home for arrival.https://www.columbiarealestate.com/moving-with-children.php
- Consider your children in the move. Plan ahead, and check out our Moving with Children Guide.
One Month Before Move
- Change Your Address
- Change Your Address with the IRS
- Make Any Travel Arrangements
- Research Your New Area
- Contact Medical & Dental Offices
- Establish a New Checking Account
- Research Local Laws
- Inventory All of Your Belongings
- Arrange for Pets to be Transported
Two Weeks Before Move
- Forward Mail to New Address
- Contact Utilities & Change Service to New Address
- Organize Moving Helpers
- Pack All Clean Clothing
- Keep Important Documents & Valuables Close
- Prepare Your Kids for the Move
- Review your Insurance Policy for Moving Coverage
- Provide Relatives with Travel Information
- Defrost Fridge / Freezer
- Do a final walk through of the home to make sure all of your belongings have been removed.
- Be sure to take control of all personal items that are valuable or important to you during the move.
- You may want to purchase travelers checks instead of cash during the move.